Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Filing deadline is Friday!

Well, we still don't have a correct draft back yet. I did get a draft a week ago, but it did not say what we really wanted it to, so we are still waiting. I did go to Austin this past Thursday and spent all day at the capitol talking with staff at different offices of 16 different representatives and senators. I am hopeful that we will be able to get something filed before Friday. Did I mention the filing deadline is FRIDAY? Yes, day after tomorrow?

I will say that every office I visited was very friendly, willing to listen and did take my information and promised to consider the request; even those legislators I know are not friendly to issues like "insurance mandates". You have to understand that those two little words are like foul language to many law makers. It doesn't matter what the coverage is for, they feel that the free market system should be allowed to let employers decide for themselves what coverage they choose and what they pay for - period. The only problem with this model is when you have a low incidence issue like hearing loss, there is not enough market demand to influence coverage and those like my family are left with tough decisions on how to provide treatment our children desperately need but we just cannot afford. I should also add that the ones most often affected are those like us that are working and have some type of private insurance, and we often make too much to qualify for assistance programs; however, we do not make enough to pay out $6,000-$12,000 out of pocket for hearing aids and all that accompanies them (and that's just for one person, remember our family has THREE hearing aid wearers!).

Back to my trip to Austin: I am very grateful for all of the staff that took the time to meet with me. I learned quite a bit about the process and several gave me great advice on how to continue to work on this issue. I do feel we have a chance with a couple of the offices to possibly get a least a version of our draft filed by Friday.

Just as a side note, on my visit to the capitol building, I also learned that the House chambers do not currently have accommodations for people with hearing loss to follow the happenings on the floor. The gallery clearly falls under the guidelines in the ADA and Texas Accessibility Standards which require assisted listening devices or other appropriate accommodations, so I was a bit flabbergasted. After speaking with several different people in different locations in the capitol, I did talk with David Sauceda, the Assistant Sergeant at Arms for the Texas House of Representatives, and he has followed up on my inquiry. An email I received from his yesterday says they are working on a check-out system in order for the public to access the ALD's they have for use by the Representatives and press. He said they have never had anyone from the public ask before.

No comments:

Post a Comment